Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Is an authorization required to access what appears to be an open field?

Yes. Most of the TUC lands are not vacant land. As a cost effective means of maintaining the lands, these lands are leased out to private tenants. Like other tenants, renters of TUC land have rights of exclusive use and enjoyment of the leased lands.

Do I need authorization for a use or construction on the TUC?

Yes. An individual, organization, or company is legally required to obtain written authorization prior to any surface disturbance in the TUC. Authorization generally takes from four to six weeks after receipt of a complete application, depending on the complexity of the application.

What is a "Ring Road"?

"Ring Road" is a descriptive term for the system of roads which, when completed, will "ring" the cities of Edmonton and Calgary. Segments of the Ring Road include Anthony Henday Drive and Highway 216 (14x) in Edmonton. In Calgary, the Ring Road system includes Highway 22x and Stoney Trail. In its ultimate design, the Ring Road system will be a high-speed freeway with related interchanges.

How is a driving range compatible with powerlines, pipelines and the Ring Road?

When a leased use, such as a driving range, is allowed in the corridor, the provisions of the lease allow for timely termination of all, or part, of the lease. A lease will be terminated if development of a primary use conflicts with the leased use.

Who do I contact for information on generally accepted uses in the TUC?

Calgary Region:

Jason Ness
Mgr, Land Planning, Southern Region
Alberta Infrastructure
3rd Floor, 6950 - 113th Street
Edmonton, AB T6H 5V7
(780) 644-1241

Edmonton Region:

Brian DeJong
Manager, Land Planning, Northern Region
Alberta Infrastructure
3rd Floor, 6950 - 113th Street
Edmonton, AB T6H 5V7
(780) 427-8473

Who do I contact with my construction proposal to use part of the TUC?

Forward a written request with a dimensional drawing to scale to:

Properties Division
3rd floor, 6950 - 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T6H 5V7
Attn: TUC Information

Once your proposal is received, additional information may be required before authorization can be obtained.

Who do I contact if I want to lease some TUC land?

...or find out about weed control, bike paths, vacant land, fencing, noise, litter, access, trespass, grass cutting, maintenance...

In Calgary call or write to:

Leszek Boczek
Facilities Manager
Property Management South
Alberta Infrastructure
Rm 802, John J. Bowlen Building
620 - 7th Avenue, SW
Calgary, AB T2P 0Y8
(403) 355-4097

In Edmonton call or write to:

Art Becker
Facilities Manager
Edmonton TUC
Alberta Infrastructure
Main Floor, 6950 - 113th Street
Edmonton, AB T6H 5V7
(780) 422-1135


What happens to surplus TUC land?

In some circumstances, Alberta Infrastructure purchases the balance of an original parcel of land along with the land required for TUC program use. This balance of land, or residual land, is "surplus" to TUC requirements.

These surplus lands are first offered to other Provincial Government departments. If no department requires the land, it is offered to the municipal authority. If the municipal authority does not purchase the land, the surplus parcel of land is typically listed on the site with a local realtor. Anyone may make an offer to buy surplus land that is listed for sale. (Please see our Realty Sales website.) It should be noted that some surplus lands are "traded" directly for land required for the TUC.

Where a parcel of land is only marginally marketable and its highest value can only be realized by sale to an adjacent owner, it may be sold directly. These direct sales are on a case by case basis and typically involve land-locked parcels of land, or land with poor configuration.